Simply Summer Weddings: A Simply Bows and Chair Covers Real Life Bride marries at Langley Castle

Saturday, March 31, 2012



What are your first names?
Fiona and Steven

Where and when did you get engaged?
We got engaged on 14th February 2009. After meeting at high school, we had been together almost 10 years when Steven proposed. Steven had it all planned and believe it or not I was completely surprised. He gave me a valentine’s card on the morning of Valentine’s Day 2009 and inside was a handmade ‘invitation’. The invitation said that I was invited to a ‘romantic evening out’ and that I was to ‘dress up’ I wasn’t allowed to ask any questions like ‘where are we going?’ or ‘what are we going to do?’ but I had to be ready for 7pm. So I began planning my outfit and doing my nails etc... 7pm came and as did the taxi that took us into Newcastle. We had a drink in ‘the pitcher and piano’ and Steven suggested that we start walking to the restaurant as we’d never been to this particular one. So we started walking along the quayside (but in the wrong direction of most of the pubs and bars in Newcastle!!) I was chatting away completely oblivious that Steven had another surprise (in his sock of all places!) he turned me around so that I had an incredible view of both the ‘millennium’ and ‘Tyne’ bridges lit up on a clear February night. He said that he had a present for me and handed me another valentines card I opened it and in big black letters he’d written ‘WILL YOU MARRY ME?’ when I looked up he was on one knee with my beautiful ‘brilliant cut’ platinum diamond ring. I was ecstatic and immediately said ‘yes!’. Later he had planned for us to have a meal in ‘SIX’ the restaurant at the top of the’ Baltic Art Gallery’. He had secretly ordered a bottle of rose champagne for arrival at our table... and we immediately began planning our big day...



What was your wedding date?
Saturday 30th July 2011

Where did you get married?
We got married on a beautiful summer’s day in July, the weather was glorious! Our ceremony took place at ‘Our Lady and St Edmunds RC Church’ in Backworth, North Tyneside. This church was special to me (Fiona) as it was my parish church but my parents were also married there many years ago. Our reception took place at the beautiful ‘Langley Castle’ in Hexham, Northumberland.



Why did you choose your venue?
After visiting a few of the popular wedding venues in Northumberland we had come across ‘Langley Castle’ on the internet and arranged an appointment to visit. 
On arrival, driving up the drive way and seeing the castle first hand, Steven and I both got the ‘feeling’ that this place was truly special. We were greeted by ‘Anton’ from the Management team and we offered complimentary coffee and a look around the castle. We were blown away by the beautiful rooms and the professionalism of the staff. We knew as soon as we left the castle that this was the place that we wanted to have our ‘big day’ and promptly paid our deposit to hold our wedding there in two years time ...now was just the wait and the planning to do!



Did you have a “theme”?
We wanted a very traditional ‘classic’ wedding theme, pretty colours with a hint of ‘sparkle’. We wanted to have a bit of fun with the table names and so chose a ‘Harry Potter Theme’ for our table names. We’ve both read the books and watched the films together and so called our tables things such as ‘Gryffindor’, ‘The Leaky Cauldron’, ‘Hogwarts’ and so on...
As the Castle was so traditional we thought that dinner by candle light would be very atmospheric and romantic and so hired silver candelabras decorated by our florist (Fleurt in Monkseaton).



What was your wedding colour scheme?
Our colour scheme was ‘aqua blue’ for our bridesmaids and accessories and our flowers were contrasting summer pinks.



Why did you choose Simply Bows and Chair Covers and what were they like to work with?
I chose simply Bows and Chair Covers after reading a wedding magazine called ‘Hitched’ that I believe, I got for free from a local wedding fayre. I saw a feature in there and noticed that they didn’t just do chair covers with simple bows, they also has little features such as ‘crystal ties’ or ‘butterflies’ ..I thought that they were really pretty. I looked on the website and got in touch with Kristy who works in the ‘Hexham’ area. She invited me to her office to look at colour choices. I showed her a ‘swatch’ of the bridesmaids dresses and she immediately knew what to do to ‘match the colour’. She tied a Light Blue organza with a Turquoise organza and the blend of the two made a perfect match for my ‘aqua’ colour scheme. Once again I knew I’d made a great choice and on the day my chairs and napkins (which were also tied with aqua ribbon) looked fantastic.



What sort of dress did you choose and where from?
My Dress was called ‘Christina’ by Maggie Sottero. It was Full A-line gown with corset closure it has a medallion beaded motif at the centre front it had a soft shimmer satin skirt and an asymmetrical train. I chose the colour ‘alabaster’ which is a light ivory.  I also wore a full length veil and diamante tiara all of which were purchased from ‘Wedding Essentials’ in Newcastle. My light ivory shoes were from dune and featured a diamante clasp over the ‘peep toe’.



What did your bridesmaids wear? 
My four bridesmaids wore a full length satin dress in ‘aqua’ satin with a sash coming around their waist and down the back of the dress. They were purchased form ‘Brides Dream’ in Walker.


Who was your photographer?
My Photographer was Ken MacMillan who has a photography studio in Whitley Bay.


What “special touches” did you add to your day?
Steven and I had our first dance to ‘Everything I do’ by Bryan Adams and my father and I (and Steven and his mum) shared a dance to ‘I loved her First’ by Heartland. We booked a local band for our reception called ‘DIABLO’ and they really got the party started. They opened with ‘White Wedding’ and the dance floor was full to bursting for the rest of the evening our guests later commented that they’d never been to a wedding where there had been a ‘mosh pit!’ 
My parents had organised a spectacular fireworks display (by reaction fireworks) to finish off the celebrations. They had arranged a 15 minute show culminating with mine and Steven’s initials on fire with a heart in the middle ...a truly unforgettable end to a perfect day.






What was your favourite part of the day?
There are so many favourite parts of the day but the highlight has to be saying ‘I do’ in front of our closest friends and family. Our day was perfect in every way and we will treasure the memory of it always.



Where did you go on honeymoon?
We spend 3 glorious weeks in Mombasa, Kenya. We spent 3 nights on safari and saw Kenya’s breath taking scenery such as ‘Mount Kilimanjaro’ and of course the amazing animals; monkeys, zebras, elephant, giraffe, lions and cheetahs to name a few! The ‘lodges’ we stayed in on safari were beautiful (I expected to be in a kind of tent! But they were anything but!) After safari we spend the remaining days at the ‘baobab beach resort and spa’ on Mombasa beach. We had an amazing time it was a very special place to spend our first few weeks of married life together.

What would be your top tip for another bride to be? 
My top tip would be to choose what ‘you’ want, of course take ‘advice’ from others but make sure that it is ‘your’ day. Go with the gut feeling that you get when visiting a venue for the first time or trying on that dress ...it’s true what they say you just ‘know’ when it’s ‘The One’.
 Also just be plain organised! Get a file and keep everything together and plan as far in advance as possible, it makes everything so much easier and more stress free!


0 comments:

Post a Comment