Simply Romantic: Tale as old as time....

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

As you all know, the Simply Bows and Chair Covers ladies are a sucker for a bit of romance! So... in the spirit of Valentine’s Day Helen McArdle Care have shared with us some fabulous tales of how true love never grows old...





The beginning of a love story…
Leading up to St Valentine’s Day, residents and staff reminiscence about how their romantic love stories began…here’s some of the lovely stories which were shared....

Hawthorn Court, Hebburn
“I met my husband at Hebburn Ambulance Hall, after one dance he told me to save the next ten for him”
Joan Dunn

“I met my Bobby in the army. He was my first love, even though he thought I was someone else at first!”
Nancy Bell

“I married my childhood sweetheart”
Ivy Lynn

“We met at Oxford Galleries Tea Dance. He was sitting alone so I went and sat next to him and the rest is history. We married two years later and were sill together 57 years later.”
Winny Kirkup talking about her husband Herbie, both residents at Hawthorn Court

“I asked Bernie to dance, she was alright and I thought to myself I quite fancy her, so I asked her to go out with me. She said yes and we are still in love to this day”
Val Riley talking about her husband Bernie Riley, both residents at Hawthorn Court

Tom and Ethel Husband
The couple first met one another while strolling along Bede Burn Road, Jarrow, in the early 1930s. The area was known locally as ‘the hen run’, where boys and girls had a chance of romantic encounters!
Mr & Mrs Husband- Married 78 years- the longest in South Tyneside!


Park House, Guisborough
“I met my future husband in the blackout, when I saw him in the daylight he was 6ft 6 and more than passible looking! He was also in the Navy.”
Sylvia

“When I was a teenager everyone used to go dancing in Whitcombs in South Bank and that was where I met my future husband who was a great dancer!”
Renee

“My husband and I attended a ball in Middlesbrough Town Hall. I wore a full evening dress and when we got married our wedding photographs were on display in the photographer’s shop window.”
Rosemary

“I remember when I was courting my future husband; I rode on the back of his BSA motorcycle.”
Barbara



 
“Unfortunately I was widowed very young with a small baby. However, one night my friends persuaded me to go dancing with them. Whilst there a gentleman danced with me all but refused to walk me home. But on seeing him again I gave him another chance and we later married.”
Dorothy

Needham Court, Jarrow

“I met my husband at St Andrews Dance Hall in Hebburn. We were both 21 and loved going to the pictures together.”
Gladys Johnson
“I was only 15 when I met my husband, we used to love going to the dance halls.”
Peggy Smith

“I met my husband when I was only 17. He joined the Royal Navy and we lost touch for a little while. However, we met up again mid 20s and later married. We were married in St Peters Church in South Shields when the war was taking place.”
Molly Batson

“I met my wife Elizabeth at a dance hall in Laygate, South Shields. In those days you went without alcohol at dance all, everyone drank lemonade.”
Jimmy Pattison

“At the age of 12 I was evacuated to Maryport in Cumbria. Once the war was over I returned to visit friends and met my husband. We married in 1952 at Holy Trinity Church in South Shields. We used to celebrate Valentine’s Day by simply giving a card; people could not afford much more.”
Audrey Fielding

“I met Gordon in 1945 at a dance at Hedworth Hall, we later married in 1947.”
Auriol

“I met Walter when we were 14 and working in a factory. It was love at first sight!”
Jenny



Springfield House, Low Fell
Dr and Mrs Jones moved into Springfield House on Valentine’s Day 2012. The couple met whilst Ray was working as a doctor and Jill as a nurse in Hertford General. They later married in 1945 in Manchester.
Dr & Mrs Jones- Married for 68 years

Melbury Court, Durham
Hilda met her husband Alex in a pub. She never had a Valentine’s card off him. Every year for the last ten years Hilda has received a Valentine’s card but she doesn’t know who it is from. Her family deny all knowledge off them. These years arrived yesterday and it is still anonymous.
Hilda

Isobel met her husband at Brancepeth science labs where he was studying and where she worked as a technician. They married in June 1949.
Isobel
 Alice met her husband in the high street. They got talking and started courting. She has never ever had a Valentine’s card and is 101 years old. She married in 1934 and then the following year had a mock wedding at Gretna Green. She still has her wedding hat in her room.
Alice
Ivy met her husband Alf at the local dance in the Welfare Hall in Shotton Colliery. They married on Jan 18th.
Ivy
Joan was introduced to her husband Lesley by her sister Mary who was courting his brother John. They both married their respective partners.
Joan

Gladys met her husband Fred in the mill where she worked as a weaver and where he worked in the warehouse. They were married in 1937 and were married for 42 years.
Gladys

0 comments:

Post a Comment